Utilize these checklists to assist you in making your transition as smooth as possible. We are here for YOU if you have any specific questions that are not covered.
Before You Move
- Notify post office, charge accounts, credit card companies, utility companies, past employer (for tax return purposes), subscriptions, family and friends, etc. of address change
- Close out local bank accounts and set up new bank account, if necessary
- Notify insurance companies of new location for coverage
- Obtain school records, legal records and other important documents
- Obtain medical records and history, transfer prescriptions, and research/request referrals for doctors, dentists, specialists, etc. in new town
- Use up perishables, defrost freezer, clean refrigerator
- Prepare large appliances and rugs for proper moving
- Disconnect utilities and get refunds for any deposits made
- Notify and register children in new school
- Request a relocation package from your REALTOR® or the city's Chamber of Commerce
Questions to Ask a Moving Company
What is the charge for packing?
Does it include boxes? If not, what do they cost and will you deliver them?
Is there an additional charge to deliver some items to a storage unit?
How is a damage claim handled?
What insurance do you provide and is there a cost?
Does the insurance cover items packed by the owner?
Can additional insurance be purchased?
If items are covered by my Homeowner's insurance, whose insurance pays first?
- Unusual Items
Can you ship my car(s)? Will they be in the moving van or towed?
What items cannot be shipped?
If packing and loading are on different days, can you leave the beds and other basics out for us to use?
What dates are available for our move?
What date will you pack and how long will this take?
What date will you load the truck?
What date will the truck arrive at my new location?
If my new home is not ready for delivery, how many days can it be delayed before there is a charge?
What is the charge for additional days or weeks?
Are there any additional fees that I'm responsible for that have not been discussed?
What are the terms of payment?
Is a down payment required?
When will the balance be due and who is authorized to accept it?
On Moving Day
- Double check rooms, closets, drawers, and cabinets for possible items left behind
- Make sure children have books and games to keep entertained during travel
- Prepare pets for transportation
- Carry jewelry and important documents on your person
- Leave all old keys needed for new resident with your REALTOR®
At Your New Address
- Check on utility services - gas, electric, water, telephone, etc.
- If relocating to new state, register car within 5 days of arrival and apply for state driver's license
- If staying within state, obtain a driver's license with your new address on it
- Register children in school if you haven't done so already
- Set up new patient appointments with doctors, dentist, etc.
- Explore your neighborhood!
Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about your move. We are here for YOU!